Life loves to humour itself on our expense. It repeatedly makes a mockery of the plans and arrangements we subject our future to. So when unexpectedly I had a chance of taking an almost week long vacation, I grabbed it with a lot in my mind. Us college students have a knack for converting any long weekend into a full-fledged holiday, and this time around it wasn't going to be anything different. Having had a chance to visit home in the middle of the term was indeed very exciting, but I quickly realised that I was not going to have much company. Good one life!
When it became apparent I was not going to have anybody to share the good times, I knew I wouldn't just sit waiting around for people to magically turn up. A lot of us are constantly surrounded by people, be it our family at home, our friends in school or college, or the people we live with. We eat our meals with people, travel (mostly) with people, sometimes even do our chores and run errands with people around. We have company all the time and what we might not realise is that we have almost no time left to ourselves. I am not saying I do not like people, they are good fellows most of the time and they sure do come in handy, but seriously guys, all the time? Noop.
That's when I came up with a plan life couldn't possibly screw. Or maybe it could, but the chances were pretty slim for the only participant was me and I am a toughy.
It was decided then. I would go to my favourite restaurant, treat myself to the pleasures of fine dinning and enjoy the company of the very best.The very best of food and beverage.
Having a solo meal has a lot of obvious benefits. You can order whatever you want- without any compromises or negotiations. You can experiment and nobody blames you if it backfires. Only you're too afraid of making decisions for yourself for a long time. Collateral damage to being awesome. You really don't have to care about manners or sharing or splitting the bill.
During my meal, I confirmed first hand all of the above were true beyond doubt but there were more, less percievable but really cool plus sides to eating alone.
I went into this thinking I'll smack one on life's face, but by the time I was through- all I wanted to place on dear life's cheek was a heartfelt kiss of gratitude.
The moment you walk in alone into a restaurant, you know its going to be different and fun.
You somehow notice all the little nuances, the colours are more vivid, the aromas are more overpowering.You become more appreciative of your surroundings.
The exhilaration of placing your order- pure and uninfluenced is liberating.
The moment you put that first bite in your mouth is magical. You aren't obliged to give a verbal approval, or to define the taste or the texture- you can simply revel in it. Some feelings are best left unspoken.
You don't have to judge the flavours and thereby render the entire experience tangible
You aren't a judge on Masterchef, this ain't your job. You're job is to sit back and relax.
There are times when we really need to meet up with people we care about, then there are other times when we simply need to push them out, and rediscover ourselves.
There are times when we need to treat our friends and family to gourmet food, then there are other times when we should only reserve such great treatment for the one person who matters the most, Us.
This time around it was the second kind.
When it became apparent I was not going to have anybody to share the good times, I knew I wouldn't just sit waiting around for people to magically turn up. A lot of us are constantly surrounded by people, be it our family at home, our friends in school or college, or the people we live with. We eat our meals with people, travel (mostly) with people, sometimes even do our chores and run errands with people around. We have company all the time and what we might not realise is that we have almost no time left to ourselves. I am not saying I do not like people, they are good fellows most of the time and they sure do come in handy, but seriously guys, all the time? Noop.
That's when I came up with a plan life couldn't possibly screw. Or maybe it could, but the chances were pretty slim for the only participant was me and I am a toughy.
It was decided then. I would go to my favourite restaurant, treat myself to the pleasures of fine dinning and enjoy the company of the very best.The very best of food and beverage.
Having a solo meal has a lot of obvious benefits. You can order whatever you want- without any compromises or negotiations. You can experiment and nobody blames you if it backfires. Only you're too afraid of making decisions for yourself for a long time. Collateral damage to being awesome. You really don't have to care about manners or sharing or splitting the bill.
During my meal, I confirmed first hand all of the above were true beyond doubt but there were more, less percievable but really cool plus sides to eating alone.
I went into this thinking I'll smack one on life's face, but by the time I was through- all I wanted to place on dear life's cheek was a heartfelt kiss of gratitude.
The moment you walk in alone into a restaurant, you know its going to be different and fun.
You somehow notice all the little nuances, the colours are more vivid, the aromas are more overpowering.You become more appreciative of your surroundings.
The exhilaration of placing your order- pure and uninfluenced is liberating.
The moment you put that first bite in your mouth is magical. You aren't obliged to give a verbal approval, or to define the taste or the texture- you can simply revel in it. Some feelings are best left unspoken.
You don't have to judge the flavours and thereby render the entire experience tangible
You aren't a judge on Masterchef, this ain't your job. You're job is to sit back and relax.
There are times when we really need to meet up with people we care about, then there are other times when we simply need to push them out, and rediscover ourselves.
There are times when we need to treat our friends and family to gourmet food, then there are other times when we should only reserve such great treatment for the one person who matters the most, Us.
This time around it was the second kind.

No comments:
Post a Comment