So today, finally the day I had to leave for college had arrived. After a two and a half month summer vacation, I was all set to begin a new year. At around the same time the previous year, I had left for a strange city, to live at a strange place with strange people to study seriously strange stuff. I was nervous and anxious and not wrongly so. For all you high-schoolers who think college life is all about tons of fun, and not much work, it isn't. And yes it's way harder than you thought. And no, you magically won't become super independent and uber-cool. Sorry you had to find out this way. Starting a whole new life far from friends and family is no walk in the park. I always wondered if I would fit in, later I realized it was not at all about fitting in as it was about setting yourself apart.Trying to outdo your own self- your thinking, your working and your jokes. A year later now, I had no such fear, no insecurity or uncertainty- at least not to that extent. So as I sat in my room for one last day, watching my own t.v, watching the show of my choice, sitting on my own bed and munching breakfast made exclusively ( okay! Not exclusively but with consideration for my taste) for me, I knew I had no right to be sad or irritable. But I still was. That's when I had to run an errand, like all of us have to, we're all slaves to errands. Running errands is a lot like engaging in small talk- it's lame but necessary for the smooth working of life. So my plans of sitting in my bed and blocking out the reality of leaving and having to work, let's say were changed. And changed for good they were. I had had the best summer vacation of my life. It however didn't happen when I was the permanent resident of my hometown. It happened when I spent most of my time elsewhere. The beauty of a moment is that by it's very nature it's fleeting, about to end, not permanent. It lingers in time but never for long. For would there be any thrill in a roller coaster ride if it were to last a whole day ? ( not to mention other horrific outcomes). I slipped on my shoes and put on a fresh shirt and moved out of my house. It is the season of rains and it had been pouring for a whole day and the sky had been overcast for at least a fortnight, but just before I left- I saw a shimmer through the thick cloud cover. A shimmer reaching for me, illuminating, only partly, the lush green hills visible from my balcony. As I strode uphill, I felt so incredibly charmed by the slightly sunny weather. It was refreshing, way more than sitting in bed and leading a sad life would ever be. So I felt charmed. Not to mention flattered, for it was as if the sun had just come out to bid me a happy farewell. Just like last year the rains had poured relentlessly for a week, which I had presumed (thanks to my ego) were cries of my city to see me go.
I am a huge fan of the rains, but the sun made me smile that day. It had only come for a very special period of time and it made that time memorable. Just like the best summer vacation at home (and a few other, totally AWESOME places), came when I was living in another city.
I am to leave for this city, and I won't say it doesn't make me a little sad. It does. Even after a year, to leave the comfort of home,the companionship of my friends and the company of my family- is tough. But for all the fun I've had here, I understand all the work I'll have to do to maintain balance is essential and honestly I know it'll not be easy, but I am still looking forward to it .
How much ever we resist change, it's( well mostly ) for good. So let's live to the full, and give another moment a chance to charm us!
I am a huge fan of the rains, but the sun made me smile that day. It had only come for a very special period of time and it made that time memorable. Just like the best summer vacation at home (and a few other, totally AWESOME places), came when I was living in another city.
I am to leave for this city, and I won't say it doesn't make me a little sad. It does. Even after a year, to leave the comfort of home,the companionship of my friends and the company of my family- is tough. But for all the fun I've had here, I understand all the work I'll have to do to maintain balance is essential and honestly I know it'll not be easy, but I am still looking forward to it .
How much ever we resist change, it's( well mostly ) for good. So let's live to the full, and give another moment a chance to charm us!
No comments:
Post a Comment